Monday 5 November 2007

Seu Jorge - From favella dwella' to movie and music star!

I thought I'd take a break from writing about the space idea, to write about something else I found interesting.
Recently I stumbled across this knew musician who I have to admire. It was when I was watching the film "City of God"(A film which displays the harsh realities of streetlife , it follows child to trying and survive the violance on the streets of Rio De Janeiro.)The film was great , one of the best I've seen of the past 10 years (and in the film they used many people from the slums themselves to play the characters , this I thought was very sincere and clever)My brother told me that one of the characters in the film who was dragged into the violence (knockout Ned) is a singer/guitarist(in real life) famous in Brazil .




I was half interested...Then he told me Seu had been in a Bill Murray film in which he played a musician who covered Bowie tracks in Portugeuse. I was interested. Then my bro told me he'd done a soundtrack for this, of Bowie songs translated and adapted to Portugeuse. I had to get it. So I did , and above my expectations the guy can sing and play guitar amazingly. I think hes done so well in life to come from living in a favella in Rio' to becoming such a succesful artist , though its no surprise the guys got talent. Vocals and guitar.

Heres a clip of him playing a Bowie song in the Film , "The Life Acqautic" , "Changes"


No comments: